Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Patriots Wish List

As most of you know, I write on this blog mostly as a seamhead and after this post it's going to be almost 100% baseball outta me for the foreseeable future, but I've got one more thing that I have to get off of my chest surrounding the Pig skinners of New England, and that's my Wish List.



How can the Patriots get back to the promised land? To me, it comes down to switching their mantra. Bill Belichick's mantra for the last I don't know how many years has been, "Do Your Job." But here's the problem, the less talented Patriots did their job to the best of their ability and ultimately failed. The mantra should be amended to, "Make a Play."



If the Patriots had more play makers on defense like the Vrabel's, like the Bruschi's, the McGinnest's, the Harrison's, the Law's, the Seymour's and the Colvin's of the world are all prototype defensive players. If I'm the Patriots I focus on defense in the free agent market and focus on the offense through the draft. He has hit more often than not in the last 5 years on offense as compared to the flops on defense (Meriweather, Sanders, Dowling).

My top 5 in reverse order of the players the Patriots need to look at hard in free agency:




5) Brandon Lloyd is the only offensive player that I would target via Free Agency. Someone like Vincent Jackson would be great, but you're then counting on someone that has never been in a Josh McDaniels style offense. As much as I respect and like Reggie Wayne I feel like that has the chance to be Ochocinco Dos. Bring in someone that is at least somewhat familiar with the offense and won't have as much of a learning curve.





4) Dashon Goldson is the perfect player for what the Patriots are lacking, toughness. Physical toughness. As a receiver you will NOT go over the middle without thinking Where is Goldson? He is a smarter version of Brandon Meriweather and is the kind of physical presence that the Patriots would really benefit from.




3) Matt Roth is one of those hybrid Linebacker/down lineman that Belichick would fall in love with. He is a white Willie McGinnest. He's great against the run and is quick enough to flash out in coverage if needed. But most of all he is an absolute ox at 6'4'' 275lbs. Couple that with his nickname being, "Big Country" and I'm already at half mast if you know what I mean.





2) For most of you the most vivid image of Cortland Finnegan is of him getting his ass beat by Andre Johnson. But this is the exact kind of player that the Patriots need. A veteran player that isn't afraid to get "in someones ass" (no homo). He gets under the skin of players and it may be time to get someone that isn't afraid to go for the ball instead of letting someone catch it and then attempt to tackle them. I'm looking at you Devin McCourty. Lining Finnegan up against a teams number 1 and McCourty on a number 2 WR would make much more sense going into next season.




1) I would back up the BRINKS truck for Mario Williams in a Patriots uniform. If I was at "half mast" with Matt Roth, I literally have a priapism thinking about Mario Williams alongside Vince Wilfork. This is the definition of a match-up nightmare and also the quicker you can get pressure on the opposing quarterback the better their secondary will look.


I'm almost positive that Lloyd is going to be a Patriot with him coming out saying he will follow Josh McDaniels anywhere to play in his offense. Also the Patriots are in the top 8 teams in the NFL as far as cap room, if this is the case they need to get the play makers that they need on defense. This is the exact reason why 4 of my top 5 players on my wish list are defensive players.


The window for Brady is another 3 years. If Belichick/Kraft want to maximize their team while they have a premium QB they must not have a "bend but not break" defense and have some players that instill fear and aren't afraid to make a play in a big moment. Big time players make big time plays and now it's time for our big time owner and big time coach to open their big time wallet.


Stay Tuned


Norton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!