Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Winning Attitude

I'm going to make a bold statement and you're going to guffaw, and then you're slowly going to agree with it. Ready for the big embrace? After watching Jonathan Papelbon blow a save the other night, I decided that night was the exact reason why we need to resign him in the offseason.

Whoa, what did he say? Who is this jamoke?

Obviously, blowing a save is not the reason that I think we should resign him. But his comments after the game are precisely the reason why he should be the closer of the present and future for the Boston Red Sox.

"Whenever I'm called on, I have to do my job. Tonight boiled down to execution, I have to be able to put guys away 0-2. This game is on me. This team needed me and I didn't come through. I don't want to hear anything about Tito bringing guys in early, the lineup not coming through or anything else, this game is on me."

Talk about accountability! Talk about not making excuses or hanging your head. This is exactly the kind of attitude people should be having on a baseball team instead we've been getting this:

John Lackey always having great stuff out on the mound but somehow one bloop-hit seems to be the only reason he gives up 8 runs in 4 innings. Weird.

John Lester (ugh I hate smiting you) talks about the dimensions of Fenway Park doing him in. Get used to it you have another 5 years on your deal bud.

David Ortiz despite the great year, seems to blame the schedule for skids along the way. Everyone has a schedule last time I checked so play it out.

Carl Crawford deflecting reporters because he had yet another bad game. Sack up and own up to what's going on.

Jonathan Papelbon's attitude alone makes me want him as my closer for the next 4-5 years. He has the uncanny ability to forget about a bad outing and come back the next day and effectively get the job done. Despite the death stare that doesn't scare anyone on the mound, this guy's makeup is exactly what Boston needs in this market. The ability to get a job done and the accountability when one should falter is the only kind of player I want on a team that I root for.

Ink him, and do it soon.

Stay Tuned

Norton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!